Re: installation doc

Subject: Re: installation doc
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 07:52:35 -0800 (PST)

What was his problem with it? Instead of "chasing after a frown", did
you ask him for specific input? I doubt that he was "unthrilled" with
the TOC per se, but the body of the document. Maybe he disliked
screen shots, maybe he wanted more. Maybe it was written to the wrong
level of user. Mayber too big, maybe not big enough. Maybe he didn't
like seeing error messages covered in the document.

You cannot work in a vac. One of the skills needed when doiing this
stuff is to encourage input and feedback. Did you get any?

--- Jean Rao <jeanr -at- purpleyogi -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I joined your list a couple of days back, and i need some inputs on
> how an installation guide should look like.
>
> I was asked to write a quick installation guide for a product, and
> I finished this with the following headings:
> 1. System requirements
> 2. Pre requisites
> 3. Installation (with screen shots and steps of the entire
> installation procedure)
> 4. Error messages encountered (and their solutions)
>
> Is there something else that i missed out...the director wasn't too
> thrilled with this doc?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/