RE: Binding printed doc

Subject: RE: Binding printed doc
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:17:51 -0500

Joyce,
This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but I had this same
argument, and lost (voluntarily).

Before I arrived here, the marketing dept. had convinced the docs dept. to
move to a spiral binding. Just before we launched our new product, we had a
user's conference for the old product. I ran a focus group where every
single attendee came through to talk to me. I asked about the new binders
and what they thought. Every single person said they hated it. They liked
the three-ring binder (despite the fact that they had to go through and put
reinforcements on the holes on many pages). They liked the fact that they
could break up chapters and give relevant sections to particular staff
members. They liked the fact that they could photocopy the book. (We allow
them to do that.) And they liked the fact that they could 3-hole punch their
own notes and add them to the book.

I hate the look of the binders, too, and find them completely impractical
for my own uses,

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.