RE: Bad Fit?

Subject: RE: Bad Fit?
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:03:22 -0700

1. They did a lousy job of interviewing. OTOH, so did you.

Dunno that I can agree with that, at least not until Maggie shares what happened in the interview.

Granted, you can screen for some traits, but it's hard to tell if you're dealing with a bunch of classical anal retentives. And those types don't typically show their hands until they have you under their control. There's really no diplomatic way to ask, "Do you treat people openly, honestly, and fairly, or do you snipe behind their backs and work to oust those who don't fit without addressing the problem?"

Some of the more "touchy-feely" organizations I've encountered operate with this kind of undercurrent. I find it far worse to patronize people with such crap than to come out and indicate where there's a problem. It's also probably actionable on Maggie's side (as long as she hasn't done anything wrong or signed a severance agreement).

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.