Choosing a dictionary

Subject: Choosing a dictionary
From: Sue Kocher <Sue -dot- Kocher -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:57:51 -0500

Sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times...
But what dictionary do you use as your authoritative source, and why?
Our Technical Editing department use Webster's Collegiate, but Corporate Communications uses American Heritage (which I also like)--we'd like to set a standard across the company but we need good reasons for advocating one dictionary over another.

One good reason for us is that we also use the Chicago Manual of Style as our basic style guide resource for things not covered in our own in-house style guide... and the CMoS declares Webster's to be its source also. Other reasons for or against?

Thanks for your input!

Sue