Re: Doc mgmt for PPT slides???

Subject: Re: Doc mgmt for PPT slides???
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:31:54 -0500

Lisa,

I just spoke with someone at lunch who suggested the same thing--pointing the template folder to the server. It's an idea I'm willing to explore, but I can see a couple of drawbacks. First, it would mean IT has to go around and make the change to everyone's Office installation (including all the remote people whenever they happen to come back to the office with their laptops). Second, it would be a major pain for those remote people to have to access the server for this purpose in any case. The ones who are on T1 lines or cable modems would be okay, but they would still have to log in through the VPN connection, rather than through the Web. I can foresee that a lot of people just wouldn't bother.

The other wrinkle that my lunch companion suggested was to actually store approved presentations--as read-only templates. People could copy any number of slides out of such a template into a new presentation.

Anyway, this is not the ultimate solution, but it's a place to start.

Thanks,

Dick