datasheet style/appropriate tools

Subject: datasheet style/appropriate tools
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:18:37 +0000

I'm after some opinions on a situation we have at the moment re tools
for datasheets. Basically the situation is as follows.

Technical information is provided by the engineers here in Belfast.
This is then turned into datasheets by marketing in San Jose

All straight forward so far. The idea was that they were getting a
consultant to design the datasheet and then provide us with the template
so that future datasheets could be done in-house. We use Word and Frame
on PC and the consultants, of course (!) use Quark on a Mac so what we
got was masters in Quark. As far as I cna see there isn't really a
template as such as each datasheet is different with a mix of
single/twin colum style. Only consistent thing is the borders and
header/footer information. So far ALL the datasheets have been done
externally. We've bought Quark but I'm not convinced about the need to
use Quark at all as I've managed to (fairly easily) duplicate the
template in Frame.

Datasheets are quite technical for a technical audience and consist some
diagrams (Illustrator) and a mix (roughly 50:50) of text and tables.
What I'm after really is some feedback from anyone who has used Frame to
create glossy datasheets. Seems the way to go as we already have the
expertise but it's been a few years since I used Quark so it may have
progressed a lot since then. We also need to be able to share the
information internally and I think Frame is probably a better be bet for
that.

All comments welcome.

Damien
--