Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: MStockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:37:49 -0500

On 1/18/01 2:38 PM, Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com) wrote:

>Usually, the easiest way to change
>this estimate is to change jobs - even if you've upgraded your
>skills. Prophets, honour in their own country, and all that.

The situation I alluded to in my "titles" post, where you go into your
current boss's office with another job offer, has provided me with
more-than-cost-of-living raises a couple of times in the past. It's a
great way to say to your boss "Tell me what I'm worth to you, right this
instant."

Of course, if you're worth less than you hoped, be prepared to accept
that other position. This is never, ever, ever, reliable to use as a
bluff... you have to be ready to make good on your threats.

That said, it sometimes beats changing jobs just to get a raise.

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman