RE: Info Mapping - Follow-up Discussion

Subject: RE: Info Mapping - Follow-up Discussion
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:20:17 -0800

>My own opinion is that "information mapping" is simply a copyrighted
> buzzword that is based on a writing methodology that writers have used all
> along.
>
> What do you think?

Here we go again...

Being certified in the IM methodology (and IM for ISO 9000), I can say that
yes, it is a copyrighted buzzword that is based on a writing methodology
that writers SHOULD have used (not to the exclusion of other methods) all
along.

When I was enrolled in the IM methods certification class, I was the only
bona fide "writer" in the class. The methodology was not new to me, but to
the other 12 people, it was. They came from a variety of departments,
functions, and environments that required a structured approach to writing
all kinds of documents. The instructor even pitched the methodology as just
one methodology, but one that was used by most of the companies that
received ISO 9000 certification.

We just went through the "IM versus Other" peeing contest a few weeks ago,
so here's hoping we don't resurrect that here.

Donn Le Vie