Re: Vanilla HTML editors (commercial), WYSIWYG and non?

Subject: Re: Vanilla HTML editors (commercial), WYSIWYG and non?
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:59:31 +1000

Given the constraints as stated in your note, I would not choose ANY of the available HTML editing software products, whether WYSIWYG or not.

Since your contributors are already familiar with Word, I would strongly recommend that they create their content in Word and save as HTML. Yes, this can work; I do it all the time.

IF you create a minimalist template in Word and IF you can convince your contributors to use ONLY certain styles and NO layout fiddles, the conversion will be remarkably clean, needing minimal if any tidying-up before being used by your website developers, and it will NOT contain Microsoft-specific code.

If you have trouble getting contributors to follow the instructions to use the template properly, you are sure to have far more difficulty getting them to use a new package properly.

If you want to pursue this idea but need help on the details, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/

Deborah Snavely wrote:

I need to identify some choices for (Windows 98/NT/2000) HTML editing
software that:
...uses only HTML 3.2 vanilla tags (Not anything from Microsoft!)
...is easy for all those Word-dependent office folks to use or learn
quickly
...is business-affordable and has quality documentation and support

I need to propose one or more HTML-editing tools for the dozens or
hundreds of content contributors in our company who aren't developers
(most of them), but are writing most of the web content for a new
industry-specific portal. The tools need to stay out of the way of the
content, while providing basic HTML tags for headings, bold and italic,
bulleted and numbered lists and simple tables.

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.