To Scroll or Not to Scroll, That is the Question

Subject: To Scroll or Not to Scroll, That is the Question
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:41:36 -0800

So the overview topics are coming along nicely, I must say. And now we are
faced with the links.
We're considering a few things.

In-line links to related topics.
A Related Topics button at the bottom of the topic.
A How To button that lists procedural topics only. (also at the
bottom)

My standards book (yeah, it's a crutch, no need to go there) says to put
links in line. But there are these big fat topics with text like "In the
Complex Editing Window, you can add, subtract, multiply, or divide your
whachamathings." So you'd have a link each under add, subtract, multiply,
and divide. That's a lotta in line links. But if you put the links at the
bottom, you're making the user scroll down to go looking. And we don't like
the links at the top. Nope.

Thoughts?

Oh, and thanks for answering my beta disclaimer questions. You were most
helpful. You know who you are.

Pam

Pam Mandel
Technical Communications Manager