Subject: TECHWR-L Poll valuable of product design documents or specifications
From: Kevin Rush <krush -at- nmhs -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:29:54 -0600

Given your current projects, how valuable are product
design documents or specifications?

Not very. If we have specs I've never seen them. We are a beta site for a
group of software for a health system. I am working with the scheduling
and registration portion of the project. After joining the team, reading
the training docs the SME's wrote and talking with my boss, I started
rewriting the training docs.

The company I work for either hasn't paid for documentation or the vendor
doesn't have it. Even some of the vendors stated what docs they have are
not very good.

So, we as the customer seem to be writing our own user documentation,
without the benefit/liability of product design documents.