RE: Instructions

Subject: RE: Instructions
From: Dan Hall <Dan -at- cooper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:57:13 -0800

Hullo, all.

I've spent the morning with one eye on this "Mac 'N Cheese" thread, and was
trying not to comment. But David's post about the bag of rolls ... Sheesh!

A question for listers: How many of you are involved in writing these types
of warnings for your product? Is it the legal dept. that does it, or do they
call in the tech writers? Not being involved with anything more dangerous
than "All data may be erased," I'm curious.

I have a fond (and possibly inaccurate) remembrance of a time when personal
responsibility was more common. Back when it was reasonable to expect that
your audience would have an average IQ and exercise a modicum of caution.

"Danger - this cup contains coffee that is hot."
"Do not use hairdryer while in the bathtub."
"Caution - touching hot lamp may cause burns."

And on and on it goes.

Dan
dan -at- cooper -dot- com

All opinions in this e-mail are solely mine, and
Cooper Interaction Design disavows all knowledge
of and responsibility for them.