RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:06:51 -0800

Speaking of cell phones, I had a nokia 2100 (I think) full featured for the
time. It was extremely difficult to use any of the advanced features. Had to
look at the book every time, which usually meant not using any of the cool
features. Who carries the book with them anyway.

The next phone I got was a Nokia 5190, about the same set of features. Super
easy to use. I can use all of the features, and have never looked at the
book once. Tech comm isn't just in the book nobody reads, it's in the UI as
well, maybe even part of the UI.

And one final observation on consumer electronics. Submerging them in 7-UP
is a bad idea. They can live through a Coke bath, but 7-UP takes 'em down
every time.

Richard Smith

> I had a very similar experience with my niece, who couldn't
> figure out how to enter her name into her new cell phone.

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.