Re: Copies of final product as part of the project files

Subject: Re: Copies of final product as part of the project files
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:50:04 -0600

Your customer has all rights to the documents, the contracting company
has no rights to the documents. If they want copies, they should talk to
the client company for official copies.

Copyright belongs to the client, proprietary information belongs to the
client. The contractor is on thin ground and is asking you to do a
potentially criminal act (theft).

Scott

hungrymd -at- cadvision -dot- com wrote:
> The issue: the contracting company now wants copies of everything I have
> produced for the client--not just the project files (they want copies of
> manuals, operating procedures, training modules, quick reference guides,
> and any job aids). I estimate the materials represent assets in the
> neighbourhood of about a million dollars.
>
> My response to the contracting company was I would be pleased to get them
> copies as long as I had written permission from the client of exactly what
> was being taken and in what form.

<snip>

> The contracting firm seems to believe because they have a confidentiality
> clause in the contract with the client (I haven't seen this contract and
> have been denied access when asked) they have permission to have copies of
> everything they touch.
>
> The contracting company's typical work entails them doing engineering work
> they approve (i.e., they assume liability for the correctness of the work)
> and therefore, certainly would be entitled to a copy of the work. BUT I
> don't assume accountability for technical correctness of documents (I have
> sign off for technical accuracy and publication).

They must go through the client to receive the documents, not you. If
they continue to press you, you might need to resort to a lawyer for
advice.

Scott

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.