Copies of final product as part of the project files

Subject: Copies of final product as part of the project files
From: hungrymd -at- cadvision -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:38:59

Hi:

I'm an independent contractor and have an issue I haven't had to deal with
before. I would like your views on the matter.

Some background:
1. I got hired through a company that doesn't offer documentation as a
service, but had an opportunity with an existing client and subsequently,
hired me. I don't have a contract with the client, but the contracting
company.
2. As the the contracting company doesn't offer documention, they don't
have methodology, standards, practices or policies that I was asked to
follow.
3. The contract expires December 31/2000.

The issue: the contracting company now wants copies of everything I have
produced for the client--not just the project files (they want copies of
manuals, operating procedures, training modules, quick reference guides,
and any job aids). I estimate the materials represent assets in the
neighbourhood of about a million dollars.

My response to the contracting company was I would be pleased to get them
copies as long as I had written permission from the client of exactly what
was being taken and in what form.

Is this how most of you handle having a copy of material you produce for
clients?

I have always asked permission to have copies.

The contracting firm seems to believe because they have a confidentiality
clause in the contract with the client (I haven't seen this contract and
have been denied access when asked) they have permission to have copies of
everything they touch.

The contracting company's typical work entails them doing engineering work
they approve (i.e., they assume liability for the correctness of the work)
and therefore, certainly would be entitled to a copy of the work. BUT I
don't assume accountability for technical correctness of documents (I have
sign off for technical accuracy and publication).

I would be curious to know if any of you have run into this before and how
you have handled it.

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.