RE: Doc. departments in the Corporate Org. Chart

Subject: RE: Doc. departments in the Corporate Org. Chart
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:23:17 -0500

Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com writes:

> Right now I'm the sole writer in a small development group, and staff
> meetings are almost surreal. We go around the table describing what we're
> working on, and asking for whatever assistance we need. Everyone
> else talks
> about the inner workings of the database and the various esoteric back-end
> maneuvering to get everything working. Then they get to me--the new
> writer--and I wind up saying some variation on, "Well... I'm revising the
> training manual for the new version. If anyone has comments on
> the previous
> version or can give me some insight into what problems users were
> experiencing, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me." (Silence
> descends. Crickets chirp, tumbleweeds whirl by.)

She would rather be in the Support department than Development.

Both areas have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't think that
Christine is asking for the right type of help from the developers. Sure
they have nothing to say about "problems the users were experiencing" or
general comments on the training manual.

But they may be able to answer questions about:
- release dates
- new/removed/changed features
- technical aspects about how the software works
And help with your tech needs.

When you're not part of development meetings, you may find that:
- you're not really sure about release dates (either not told, or not
getting
an idea how much they are slipping)
- suddenly you see new screens, new procedures and changes to existing
screens/
procedures (that you never heard of)

- Michele

Michele Marques