RE: A question about education

Subject: RE: A question about education
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:44:03 -0500

Tracey Claybon is doing some tech writing in her tech support job and is
wondering whether tech writing education is recommended for pursuing a tech
writing career.

Welcome to the club, Tracey! I don't have formal tech. writing training
(aside from individual courses/conferences). I worked as a programmer, then
in tech support for 4+ years before moving into tech. writing.

Not having "tech writer" as your title (or part of your title) could make it
hard to move into tech. writing without the certificate or degree. Building
up your tech. writing portfolio (samples) while in tech. support will help.

If your current company does have technical writing positions, your best bet
might be to try to move internally into one of those positions.

Good luck!

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions