Re: Word 97 Table Of Contents

Subject: Re: Word 97 Table Of Contents
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:42:16 +1000

If the file uses Word's built-in heading styles (modified whatever way you want) and the outline numbering feature for the numbering defined for the headings, the numbering should work the way you want without your having to do anything other than tag the headings (titles) properly. If it's *not* working, then you probably have a file in which one or the other of the above has not been done.

Contact me off-list if you want more details. I realize the explanation above is a bit vague.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/
-----------------
Now available: Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of contents, go to: http://www.wrevenge.com.au/bookshop/olhbk.htm

At 07:11 AM 19/12/00 +0000, you wrote:

I need a Word 97 Table of Contents, Sections, Numeric, and Styles expert.
I currently working on a document that has two sections. In the first
section before the titles there is a number (1.1.1 In The Beginning),
(1.1.2 First Man On Earth) and so on. I've just started the section two
part, so now I need my numbers to start over with (2), (2.1.1Man On The
Moon) (2.1.2 Man In Space) and so on.
The person that originally started the document is no longer here and I am
not sure how they define the "Numeric Style". I want to keep the same Font
Style as in the first section, but I want the titles to start numbering
over again with 2 in the section 2.