Re: Real Quandary

Subject: Re: Real Quandary
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:01:18 -0700

1. Got the increase in salary I wanted when I started my present job.
2. Enjoy the work most of the time.
3. Doing my own work (editing) and in the process doing the work of the
writers (information design, organization, and the _writing_ itself, often).
4. Told the recruiter at the agency in my third week that I was unsure that I
wanted to stay. Was told that I needed to stay at least six months.
5. Unsure about making a move because of the incompetence of my colleagues.
Hate saying they're incompetent, but I'm in a quandary and my motive is to
figure out the best solution.

Is it their incompetence or their laziness? Incompetence can be cured, if the incompetent WANT to be competent. They may not know any better. If they're just lazy, then choose whether you want to enable that laziness or make them take responsibility for it. If you're doing their work because they're lazy, then you're giving them permission to take advantage of you. Refuse to do it. If they need to know how to do their work better, try to help them. Maybe they need more developmental editing. Don't do their jobs for them. Try to help them learn how to do their jobs.

Do I use other agencies to help me find another job?

This one worked for you, regardless of the situation. They might be able to find you a better position in the future. You might also take a look at the agreement you made with them. Leaving the position might be a breech of contract.

Wait six months?

If it's a minor frustration, you might find that it goes away. If it causes major stress, I'd try working it out internally first.

Sneak
around on my own?

Again, look at the recruiting agreement and make sure you don't get the shaft if you leave before 6 months.

Talk to my boss's boss?

Have you talked to your immediate supervisor about it first? Is the boss one of the incompetents? If the latter is so, you might need to go above. If not, then don't escalate the issue before discussing it with your boss. That could be a career-altering move.

The key is not to escalate the situation unless it's necessary. Have you addressed the problem with your coworkers yet? If you're skulking around before doing that, then I'd say that's a big mistake. If you have a problem, you need to be honest about it. Explain what the problem is and what you'd like them to do about it. You don't need to do it in a harsh or aggressive manner. Explain what you were hired to do, what you find yourself doing, and why that isn't working.

>Talk to Human Resources?

I don't think that would do anything positive for your situation. If you can't work it out with your supervisor, HR won't be able to do much good, and it could create a politically hazardous situation for you.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com