Re: TW jobs-how to choose-Now decided!!

Subject: Re: TW jobs-how to choose-Now decided!!
From: Jan <brandego -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 06:26:13 -0800 (PST)

First, I have to say how surprised I was at the
helpfulness of so many people on this list regarding
my request for feedback on what factors to consider in
choosing between jobs. A huge THANK YOU goes out to
all who responded privately and publicly. At a
particularly stressful time for me, it was invaluable
to have a forum such as this where people cared to
share their personal experiences. There were so many
interesting and valid points to consider in choosing
between jobs and consider them I did. I asked myself
many questions, created a pros and cons list and
evaluated each company with the information I had.

So at the deadline, I made my decision. After trying
to be so logical about the choices I was offered, I
actually accepted the job I wasn't even as seriously
considering at the beginning, mainly because the pay
and benefits were the lowest. Many of you suggested
that money should not be the major motivation,
particularly if it is not such a colossal difference.
Why did I choose this job? I really went on a
'feeling' that I might be happiest in that
environment. Some of those contributing factors were
working on a team with a team member I felt
comfortable with, a more casual atmosphere, a product
I felt was exciting and cutting edge, and a place I
felt I could continue to learn without a huge stress
factor. I did not want to get in over my head at this
time, which I think I might have Had I gone for the
position as the sole tech writer I think more would
have been expected of me and I didn't want to get in
over my head at my first fulltime tech writing job.
The place I chose is also the smallest and while it is
pre-IPO, I think it has the most dynamic atmosphere
and would offer the most flexibility. In addition to
the job factors, I decided I was not sure about moving
to the other city, so I decided to stay where I was
for the time being and see how it goes.

It may not be the 'right' decision, if there is such a
thing, but as a few people pointed out and worth
noting here -- no decision is irrevocable. That simple
fact eases my mind immensely. Ultimately, I know any
job would serve to move me forward and now with the
decision already made, I will give it my all and hope
for the best. I must also say that this experience has
also given me more confidence about the value of my
existing skills and experience in the field, and I
know there is no reason to be in a place and doing a
job you are not comfortable with.

I have no doubt I will need information on some
subject in the future and this list is an amazing
resource. I hope to also be able to help others if I
am able the way you have all helped me. Again, my
sincere gratitude to everyone who responded.

A happy and safe holiday season to all,
Jan

http://shopping.yahoo.com/