Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)

Subject: Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:03:27 -0800

Sandy Harris wrote:

> There are three things we all want out of work:
>
> payoffs: money, options, perqs, respect, authority, ...
>
> self-respect: feeling you're doing good work, it's an important
> project, a useful product, socially responsible, ...
>
> reasonable load: not always 70-hour weeks, you won't die of
> stress-related illnesses, ...
>
> If you're really good at this, you can have any two of the above.
> No-one ever gets all three.

(Strains of "The HMS Pinafore" strike up)

Me: What never?

Sandy: No, never!

Me: What, never?

Sandy: Well, hardly ever.

While knowing your limits is important, you can easily have all
three if you're a contractor . I certainly feel that I do.

Payoffs are easy. Contractors traditionally are paid more than
regular employees, yet in the courage job market they can keep
regularly employed. The more that companies pay, the more they
respect you, too. You get fewer direct perqs, but as a contractor,
you can generally arrange time off as you want.

Self-respect is also easy. As a contractor, you can pick and choose
your work. Fairly often, you're called in to clean up or to handle a
difficult situation. And, of course, it's amazing what you can bear
if you're working for yourself.

What is hard, I suspect, is to have a reasonable load. When you
start contracting, you may be feeling insecure enough about striking
out on your own that you feel that you have to take every job that
comes your way. As a result,you can easily over-book, and find
yourself working 70 hour week after 70 hour week. However, after a
couple of years, you should have enough confidence in your ability
to find work to relax a bit.

My experience with full time employment is less extensive, but I
still wonder whether you have to settle for two out of three. You
may simply have to look a bit harder than most people do.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"To conclude,I'll tell you news that's right:
Christmas was killed at Naseby fight,
Charity was slain at that same time,
Jack Tell-Troth, too, a friend of mine."
- Anonymous 17th Century, "The World Is Turned Upside Down"