Re: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?

Subject: Re: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:55:32 -0800

rhoggan -at- lewis -dot- com wrote:

> When people talk list Senior Technical Writer under there name on this
> list, does it mean they are the Head of documentation team/department, or
> does that designate a number of years in tech writing?

Sometimes, it can mean any of these things. Just as often, they are
simply laying claim to a status that matches their self-image.

If you want to call yourself a senior technical writer, there's
nothing in the world that can stop you.

However, why would you bother? Although the designation may have a
limited use for a job description, your resume will show your level
of experience.

Too many tech writers show far too much concern with such
peripheries as job titles. I don't know the source of this
insecurity - too early toilet training, maybe? But it does seem
irrelevant to getting the job done.

> When jobs ask for three years experience, would 2.5 years + an intense
> summer of schooling qualify for such work, especially considering the work
> I've done here? Is it wrong to round-up the two years to three (making the
> assumption that the college work will be similar to actual working
> experience)?

I would consider it wrong. Moreover, many circles are small enough
that you could be found out. But, more importantly, from the way you
phrase it, and then rationalize it, I suspect that part of you
thinks it wrong. If so, do yourself a favor and be exact. You'll be
more comfortable with yourself.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Willie was the golden boy, possessed of style and grace,
Where another man might fold his hand, he found the extra ace,
Willie he turned rotten in some secret, ugly way,
Now I look in children's faces, I see Willie."
- Garnet Rogers