RE: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?

Subject: RE: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:14:10 -0800

Hmmm...the answers to your questions are going to vary because there's no
"right" answer. Each company will have different criteria for what
constitutes a "Sr." level writer. There are many factors that go into what
determines a Sr. Technical Writer, so I'm going to give you my take on it
(having written job descriptions for all levels of tech writers).

In my book, A senior-level writer attains that level with years of
experience, not just knowledge alone. You can come out of school being the
best whiz at Frame, RoboHelp, XML, Visio, strategic planning, etc...but you
ain't been battle-scarred yet. You haven't "earned" your stipes by
demonstrating the knowledge and skills you picked up in a controlled
environment (like a classroom)in a real-world environment, complete with all
the meetings, problems, and other factors that constantly fight your best
efforts to complete a project on time and on budget.

A senior-level technical writer should have experience in more than one
industry and/or product line. Within certain limits, the wider the
experience, the better able this individual should be able to cope with any
kind of project constraint and risk.

My criteria for a senior-level technical writer is someone with at least 5
to 7 years experience (leaning more to the 7 years preferably).

Donn Le Vie