RE: Release Note problem

Subject: RE: Release Note problem
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:08:52 -0500

Jackie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of software development. Not to mention
Technical Writing. At least YOU KNOW about the build of the software. I
was recently in one of the production directories to check an enhancement of
a software and found that we had not only released 4 other versions (read
bug fixes) of our software but included many new enhancements/bug fixes that
they just plain decided I didn't need to know about. That was, until,
customers called up and said, "where's the help for this feature?" At this
time, I was asked, how come it wasn't written. I simply pointed out that if
they (the company) does not keep me in the loop I cannot be responsible for
things I do not know about. This has been one of the biggest complaints
I've had here-- being kept in the loop. Unfortunately, I'm sure you'll find
the similar experience from other writers on this list. As well as
completely opposite experiences.

I think this has more to do with the attitude of "the software needs to get
done, the help can follow."

A useful suggestion to this, would be, call a meeting with the QA,
programming and anyone else concerned with releasing software, if the
company is small enough you may be able to implement some sort of review
process where you're not on informed of changes to the software but are
instrumental in helping them along.

Just my .02 (American)