RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:21:28 +0100

Guy K. Hass wrote:

...if Dick spent three years full time in the antiwar
movement, what can he put on his resume for those three years?
I don't know about you, but I look for gaps in work history.
How to explain that three-year gap?

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but what's the matter with a three year
gap in one's work record? Many things may or may not have occurred in
such a period:

writing novels
foreign travel
winning the lottery
volunteering
children
illness
prison

I've never taken three years off. But I did take off nearly a year for
travel 10 years ago. I think it helped my technical writing abilities in
ways no one but I can calculate. The same would be true for any of the
experiences above. (Just for the record, I wouldn't like to try illness
or prison.)

I don't mean to rake Dick over the coals for his statement, but I, like
the war protester, will never be a mere cog in the production machine.
Work and money are the means to an end, they need not be the result
itself.

Jesus, kick me through the goal posts of life.

Brian