Re: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest

Subject: Re: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:11:39 +0000

Dan Hall wrote:

> An excellent way to test a candidate is to have them participate in a
> project you're currently working on, if at all possible.

This suggestion is rather like the idea of speaking at a conference
without at least token payment.

Employment is an exchange of your services in return for money. A
company would be miffed if you took its money and didn't do work, so
shouldn't you be equally put out when asked to give your services
without money?

Unions and true professional associations understand and defend this
basic principal. For example, the Screen Writers' Guild has a clause in
its contract outlawing speculative writing (that is, writing without a
firm contract) because too many film and TV producers were asking for
it, then using the information they received while not paying the
writer. In fact, the Guild frowns on speculative talking, because it has
often been used in place of hiring a writer.

That may sound ridiculous at first, but it's really just a sensible
defense. I learned that the hard way after one interview in which the
interviewer took careful notes of my speculative talking, then hired
someone else (partly on the strength of a letter of reference I had
written, but that's another story). Tech writers can only help
themselves by adopting the same defense.

It's only natural to be flattered when someone asks your advice or asks
you to be a speaker. And, if you are prepared to volunteer your
services, that's admirable. However, be careful that the flattery isn't
being used to take unfair advantage of you.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com