Re: The problem with STC/Speaker's fees?

Subject: Re: The problem with STC/Speaker's fees?
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:19:03 +0000

I agree with Geoff Hart that it's a matter of economics. I was a speaker at the
ISTC conference in the UK this year and paid the usual fees - well my employer
did :) . Never really thought about it - my take was I was putting something
back into the system having got quite a lot out of it over the years. Being
small (very!) compared to the STC, losing the income from between10-20 speakers
would be significant and put the price of the conference up - not to my benefit
if I'm not speaking. Conference is the usual mix - workshops (useful), product
info (read sales pitch!) and a mish-mash of sessions, some good some bad
depending on your interest. However where it does score highly is that it is
geared towards those that use it:

Starts Friday evening and ends Sunday lunch - lots of contractors/employers who
don't pay so this means people don't lose out on billable time/holidays

Cost includes accomodation and meals though there is the option to attend
sessions only and arrange your own lodgings etc.

Moves around the country so that it should be easily accessible a different
group of people each year

Damien Braniff

PS From what some people said about the cost of accommodation, AP could probably
get a cheap flight to the UK, AND pay for the conference (as a speaker of
course!) for less than attending the STC conference cost!
--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author