Re: What, Me Think? (Going way off the deep end)

Subject: Re: What, Me Think? (Going way off the deep end)
From: Ymorrigu -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:58:13 EST

>>In one of my history courses, I no longer remember >>which one, the professor remarked that someone, and I >>can't remember who it was anymore (doncha just
>>LOVE
>>all this definitive information?) was the >>last "universal genius," someone
>>whoknew just about everything it was possible to know >>on just about every
>>subject.

I believe you're thinking of John Milton, who, in the 16th century, read every book in the world. He went blind shortly thereafter. =)
And this bit of knowledge comes from a 21 year-old who is tired of all of the sweeping generalizations maade about her generation, or any group of young people for that matter. Just because you are over 40 does not mean you are smarter or can think more critically than a person under 20. And no, TV is probably not to blame. If you want some off the wall reasons why people can't think critically, then let's get Darwinian: With the advance of technology (medical and industrial), the human population no longer has to subscribe to the rules of natural selection. Humans have no need to be bigger, stronger, critical thinkers, so naturally the "undesirables" will be able to procreate more easily. So, from my logic, its not that young people can't think critically, there's just a larger population of drivelling morons out there that make us look bad.