Re: In Defense of Bourgeois Pedants

Subject: Re: In Defense of Bourgeois Pedants
From: Ymorrigu -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 20:07:36 EST

>I suspect that the
> relative stability of the last 500 years has more to do with a lack
> of major influences on the language since that time.

And precisely so. English has been possibly THE most influential language of
the last 100 years, if not the last 500 years. There is no major language in
the world that has not been influenced in some way by English. I don't think
that the stability of English grammar will be challenged by another language
anytime in the near future while English remains the main language of
international commerce, science, and technology.