Re: SUMMARY - Tech Writer's bookshelf: What else do we need?

Subject: Re: SUMMARY - Tech Writer's bookshelf: What else do we need?
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:36:54 -0500

Hello,

(Apologies for the duplicate post! I'm posting this again with the correct subject line for archiving purposes.)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about resources that tech writers might need above and beyond the available books on the typical list recommended by TWs.

A few people requested a summary posted to the list. There may have been more requests for a summary than actual responses <g>, but I'd like to thank those of you who took time on this question, as everyone offered thoughtful responses. Special
thanks to David Neeley for his summary of UML (Uniform Markup Language) and link to more information.

Thomas Quine wrote:

_I would like to see some books on new media alternatives for technical
communication (i.e., streaming video and audio, email, Web, etc.)_

Al Rubottom wrote (some discussion of existing resources snipped):

<previous para discussing grammar resources and Hackos snipped>_...How the engineers at yr co. will work with you is far more pivotal to any potential influence you might have over GUI design or usability issues. if you discover ya can't make a
big input on such fronts, just let it go... it's the way it is, sometimes, simply not worth making yrself crazy over. No doubt contractors can treat it differently._

David Neeley wrote:

_I have observed a near-total lack of standards when doing flow charts of
various kinds within technical documentation.

I am about to explore the UML resources (Uniform Modeling Language) to
determine if this is comprehensive enough to cover the bases. If so, I
intend to learn enough of it to do many of the graphics in the books I write.

...To learn more (including to register to get a free CD on UML, go to:
http://www.rational.com/uml/index.jsp._

Thanks again for your responses. There are, of course, lots of great TW resources out
there that we reference daily.

The intent of the original post was to open a discussion of new areas in which TWs are learning and/or expanding their skills in order to:
1) adapt to new technologies, new academic theories, and new job responsibilities; and
2) remain marketable in the increasingly high tech industries in which we work.

Regards,

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer
Paychex, Inc.
Rochester, NY USA
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and not of
Paychex, Inc.