Term usage - encrypted vs. "en clair"

Subject: Term usage - encrypted vs. "en clair"
From: "Leslie Johnson (Wasser)" <a-leslij -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:28:46 -0800

Hi all!

Perhaps one of you has run into this before. I'm in the process of
sanitizing a document (written by a manager) for external audience use,
and came across the terms encrypted vs. en clair. (As in "The network
login password is encrypted, but the user name is en clair.")

I've heard the term "en clair" used in this context before in
conversation, but I've never run across it in a documentation context
before.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better/more standard term than en
clair?

Thanks,
Leslie Johnson