Re: question on removing the teacher/trainer

Subject: Re: question on removing the teacher/trainer
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:01:55 -0800

Alexander Friedlander wrote:

> Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of information on:
>
> The success of turning "stand-up training/teaching" into
> computerized training with an interactive CD and web program.
>
> In other words, does anyone really learn anything this way? Can you
> get rid of the human teacher if you have good enough courseware, or
> do you always need a human to go with it? If so, how much human
> interaction?

For what it's worth, Irene Pepperberg's studies of avian
intelligence (centering on the African gray Alex) suggests that
teaching works much better in a social setting. When working with a
bird, her team works in twos, with one worker acting as the teacher,
and the other as another pupil. In this setting, the birds learn
much better than in a simple stimulus/response setting.

Since birds and humans are both social animals, I suspect that this
finding would probably apply to both.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"This is the hour when the city turns blue,
This is the time of the lost and found,
They've loosed the nutters in the Underground,
Everything's far and nothing is true."
- Oysterband, "The Lost and Found"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230