More Word Help

Subject: More Word Help
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:43:03 -0700

Thank you to everyone who replied to my request. Strange
how you don't realize that you asked the wrong question
until you get the answer.

The majority of you suggested that I just insert a new
section for the second page in order to change the margins
for the rest of the document. That works fine. But what I
should have said was that with the requirements for the
margins there is a page numbering requirement as well.

The page numbering requires that the first page have the
number centered on the bottom of the page. The subsequent
pages must have the number in the top right corner.

In order to do that I went to page setup and set a
different first page. Then, under the Insert menu, I chose
page numbers and set it for the Top of the Page (header)
with a right alignment without showing the number on the
first page. The next step was to View the headers and
footers and in the center of the footer clicked the page
number (#) button. That set the numbering for the first
chapter.
Then in order to keep the numbering scheme through out the
document I would go to the end of the first chapter and
insert a section break. With that done the first page of
the second chapter has the number in bottom center and the
following pages have the number in the top right.

Now, I knew all of this when I asked my question about
margins, but didn't provide that info. For that I
apologize.

When I try to set the second page's margin's as different
from the first page, The numbering is then discarded for
all but the first page. This happens even if I try to set
the margins before the numbering. It seems as though I can
do one or the other, but not both.

Is there a work around for this in Word, or will they have
to use a different program to combine separate documents at
a later date? The problem being that none of our graduate
students are familiar with programs like Acrobat or
Distiller.

Thanks for the help

chas

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu