RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:17:27 +0100

One righter also suggested that windows "open". I must point out though
that this is a wholly false grail! You see, the applications I've been
working on don't use windows, but frames.

So I have had to use appear to describe that magical moment when the
frame refreshes and the new page content reloads in the browser window.

By way of confusing, let me say that I have even stooped to saying that
certain widgets "fill" with information/data/images and other such
filth.

Well, it only goes to show you that context is your only clue.

Did any of you technical writers ever consider that occasionally varying
your language is actually good for the reader? It keeps heris (sic)
attention. Which--lest I be stung by the hornets of the great and
all-knowing ________-- still requires you to keep to a modicum of
sematic rules.

Irreverently,

Brian