Re: Illustrator - cross platform font trouble

Subject: Re: Illustrator - cross platform font trouble
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:11:56 -0500

IIRC, Arial is a TrueType font, which doesn't work very well with Distiller.
If you go back to your illustrations on the Mac and replace any Arial with
Helvetica (a PostScript Type 1 font).

This is what I do for cross-platform usability:
Use Helvetica or another PS font in my illustrations
Save As Illustrator EPS
Compatibility = 7.0
Preview = 8-bit IBM PC
PostScript = Level 2.0
(I don't know why 7.0 works and 8.0 does not--I think it has something to do
with embedded fonts in the illustration, but I could very well be wrong on
this point. In any case, it works for me.)

With those settings I have absolutely no problems importing images to Frame
on the PC. The only problem I've found is that the PC does not recognize the
HP 4000 PS driver as a PostScript driver, so when I print from Frame, I only
get the 8-bit TIFF preview, which looks awful. But when I distill it to PDF,
everything works wonderfully.

I would prefer to use the Mac for all my technical documents, but they
haven't sprung for the upgrade to Frame 6 for the Mac, just the PC. I don't
have any PS problems with the Mac and ligatures are easier for me to handle.

Also, don't forget to use the Acrobat Distiller to create your .ps file. The
ppd is the best for producing PDF-happy PostScript output.

Feel free to write off-list if you have more specific questions that I may
be able to help with.

Good luck!
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230