RE: Illustrator - cross platform font trouble

Subject: RE: Illustrator - cross platform font trouble
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:14:10 -0500

Archimede,

Others can address the actual font issue, but here's
the tactical approach to finding the offending illustration(s).

Pick an illustration about halfway through the doc.
Go to the source file and temporarily re-name it.
This breaks the link and leaves a gray box displayed
in your doc (and gives error messages when you re-open
the doc, but never mind; that's not what's important here).

Print to .ps and attempt the Distillation again.
If it fails in the same way, you have just learned:

a) the offending illustration occurs before the middle
of your document, so you may have just narrowed
the search down to half the doc or,

b) you may have more than one offending illustration or,

c) both.

Now, go to an illustration that's about halfway between
the start of the doc and the illustration that you
temporarily de-linked in the earlier step. Do the same
with the new illustration.

Eventually, you'll find the earliest point in your doc
where you seem to have a bad illustration. With that
faulty one "re-named out", the new .ps should distill
properly. Then you can start giving the re-named illustration
files their old names, so that the FrameMaker links are
restored.

By using that "quartering" approach, you can locate the
bad ones with the least amount of work, but there may
still be a lot of file renamings and FrameMaker re-startings
and .ps creations...

Worst case, is that they ALL are problem illustrations.

That's the point where somebody like Dov will be lots
more help.

Good hunting!

/kevin

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230