Re: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: Re: ADMIN: FYI
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:07:07 -0800

The exchange of ideas between thinking adults
with differing views often includes a little sarcasm, humor with a
bit of a bite, and even tongue-in-cheek ridicule, all of which, if used
judiciously, can fall within the limits of polite discourse. The rules
of formal debating, for instance, allow all of these forms or argument,
within limits, and they ought to be allowed on this list. Censorship
of those kinds of exchanges on this list would constitute the most
obnoxious form of political correctness.

Like most other forms of group discourse, lists like
this ought not to be forced to cater to the lowest common
denominator of those sensitive souls who consider any strong
opinion expressed forcefully to be offensive.

As Harry Truman was fond of saying: "If you can't stand the
heat, stay out of the kitchen." An appropriate translation of
that axiom for this list would be:

Don't post your opinions on this list if you expect
only praise in return.

For most of us, I think, voicing a strong opinion that produces
no response from the list is the cruelest cut of all. As Andrew
Plato has often pointed out, we learn best when our ideas
and opinions must be defended against strong dissent.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.