Re: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: Re: ADMIN: FYI
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:45:29 +0000

> We all have a passion for writing and a certain pride in what do (or should
> have) so it's not surprising that things at times do get heated but there is a
> difference between passion and rudeness, First and foremost we are all
> communicators and we should, if we have something to say, be able to say it
> clearly and concisely without (at least intentionally) giving offence. If we
> can't then what are we doing as writers? If we disagree with something, say so
> stating reasons - much better that simply saying 'what a load of ****', even
> if that's what you think. Language is our main tool so lets use it well,
> whether we agree or disagree with a post.

Having said that, anyone who's been in the job for any length of time should
realise that having a thick skin is (at least part of the time!) essential to
your well-being - grumpy SMEs/managers, office politics, red-pen fiends... to
name but a few. Following heated debates will give an idea of what offices CAN
be like.

We all have our own perspective on things - what's PC, what's funny etc and so
we there's the old standyby DEL key. If you feel the urge to go off the deep
end, just think of it in physical terms - slamming the door as you go out etc!

When I started on the list, like most people, I read everything. Now I read
maybe 20% on a good day. We keep fairly well to the subject line so I can
follow threads that interest me; from reading every mail earlier on I recognise
names that I read regardless of topic as I've found them to be, on the whole
interesting/useful.

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff