New question on displays versus appears

Subject: New question on displays versus appears
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:26:56 +0200

Interesting that we all have different takes on this. My own opinion
remains that this is probably the least important thing I document in any
given day. The important content in my manuals tends to be the task I'm
documenting, such as copying a client agreement preparing invoices. In that
context, I think the user doesn't particularly care where the window came
from or where it's going after clicking OK.

My new question on this is how do you all document default values.

Scenario, the user clicks the Whosit button and finds herself in the Whosit
window. In that window are several empty fields where she needs to fill in
information, and other fields that already contain default values, which she
can change manually if she wants to.

In the docs, there is a table describing all the fields in the Whosit (yes,
we decided to go with tables in the end, and now that I've worked with them
a bit, I'm not unhappy with the decision). When documenting a field that
contains default data that can be updated, what do you guys write?

Shalom from (suddenly cold) Jerusalem,
Sharon

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
SintecMedia
sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com

Time's fun when you're having flies. -Kermit the Frog

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230