Re: FW: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: FW: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:48:26 -0600

Though they are nice, they don't make up for salary differences because, in
my experience, everyone has most of these benefits. I have always had most
of them and I currently have all of them. So, battle on! You have my
support!

<snip>
This is a list of our "atmospheric" fringes: can you all let me know
whether you think any of these (and which ones) make up for lower pay?
free lunch every other week
free coffee, tea, and cocoa
flexible work hours
occasional telecommuting acceptable (once a week is the standard)
casual dress
a standard 40-hour week

<snip>

Marni,

These are not benefits.

If they want to pay low salaries then they better expect less qualified personnel, less experienced personnel, short-term personnel.

This is an entrepreneurial society. Especially in the current market, they must COMPETE for resources. If they are willing to pay big bucks for their management team, they should be willing to pay big bucks for their workers. The management team, especially senior members tend to have less exposure to risk than other employees.

It always is interesting that the benefits afforded to senior and sometimes mid-level management (bonuses and stock options) are usually not offered to the people who put the product out the door. If these "benefits" were offered then I could see an argument for lower salary ranges.

Scott
--
Scott Turner