RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Dan Hall <Dan -at- cooper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:33:41 -0800

Here at Cooper, we're paid a salary that's industry average for the Silicon
Valley. In addition we have:

A fully stocked kitchen and pantry, that definitely is better supplied than
my house. We have breakfast foods, lunch and snack fixin's every day of the
week; free drinks (non alcoholic :} ) which includes coffee, tea, soda,
and Snapple; candy enough to stuff an elephant; healthy snacks, like granola
and energy bars; breakfast cereal ... you get the picture.

Casual dress - t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes - unless working directly
with clients.

Flexible hours AND a 40 hour work week. The company believes that a healthy
workplace includes more than a place with non-slip floors that's regularly
vacuumed - it means having employees whose mental health is cared for too.
Sure we work longer hours when necessary - but generally schedules provide
for 40 hour weeks, period. We appreciate the company's effort in this area,
and are willing to pull the occasional (or rare) 12-14 hour day.

Standard health and retirement benefits - health care fully paid by Cooper,
along with 401k and the oft overrated "stock options."

In addition, the company purchases the tools we need to do our work without
raising a fuss. All the "technical writers" here have company issued,
top-of-the-line Dell laptops. When I turn in a purchase request for a tool -
software or hardware, 99% of the time it's approved. They know we need the
tools to do the work, and trust us to decide whether something is needed or
not. (Of course, I haven't P.R.ed a Porsche Boxster, or anything!)

All of these perks are aimed at reinforcing something the company repeats as
a mantra - "Our most important assets go home at night."

In addition - think of the hours the company gains when we "stay-in" for
lunch! <g>

Loving it here.
Dan
dan -at- cooper -dot- com