Re: Advice for a career changer?

Subject: Re: Advice for a career changer?
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:32:41 -0600

Hi, Renee,

Your husband can get training on RoboHelp and FrameMaker from several
sources here in Dallas. Richland College offers a certificate program in
technical writing. The University of North Texas offers both a BA and MA
program in technical communication. As for learning just RoboHelp and
FrameMaker, there are also training classes for just those software
programs, usually offered by private companies and consultants. I'm sure
you'll get some names of places. If not, let me know and I'll do some
digging.

Has he updated his resume and shopped it around yet? I'd suggest he start
with our local STC job bank and contact a few recruiters. The recruiters
should at least be able to offer some hints for deficient skills. The
local STC chapter (http://stc.org/region5/lsc/ ) has almost 700 members
and we've got some good resources.

The job market in Dallas is really good right now, but it does seem that
companies are wanting more technical skills than ever before. He might
consider taking some computer courses for updating his technical skills,
too.

Jane Bergen