RE: Moving from MS Outlook 97 to Lotus notes R5

Subject: RE: Moving from MS Outlook 97 to Lotus notes R5
From: Auri Poso <auri -dot- poso -at- ztango -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:18:02 +0200

Yes, Amy, you're right. Sorry. I didn' t mean to insult anybody's
professional skills.

For the record, although I happen to consider Lotus (4.3) helps particularly
unhelpful, I never thought this was the fault of the actual writers. After
all, there are a few really nifty ideas - like, if memory serves, the
picture of the Notes window where you can click to find descriptions of the
various sections. I thought that was cool. But the way Lotus is set up
seemed to pre-empt any attempt at creating searchable, comprehensive helps.
Any time I searched for anything, the programme found nothing useful. I was
told that this was because of the way indexing works in Notes. Ditto for
trying to browse the help system to find relevant topics. So I totally blame
the Notes structure for the way the helps are set up; but I *still* never
(and I mean never) found anything useful in them. (Nifty, yes. :-) This
isn't to say it wasn't there, just that it never reached me.

It didn't help that the UI in version 4.3, which I used, is confusing,
although I believe v. 5.0 is a vast improvement. It's a Good Thing that the
helps were improved, too.

All this being said, the person most deserving of blame is the thrice-cursed
IT manager at the company where I worked, and his fellows in other company
offices around the globe, who inflicted Notes 4.3 on us in the first place
and then refused to move to version 5.0 :-)

.apo, whose foot tastes terrible