RE: Lotus Notes 'UN"-Help Was RE: Moving from MS Outlook 97 to Lo tus notes R5

Subject: RE: Lotus Notes 'UN"-Help Was RE: Moving from MS Outlook 97 to Lo tus notes R5
From: Brent -dot- Jones -at- Level3 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:43:37 -0700

Eric Ray wrote on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:25 AM:

[deletia regardin Notes help]

> The idea of placing requests for feedback by email in help
> files struck me as a
> good one. If well implemented, a small icon or line of text,
> when clicked, can
> allow the user to directly query/comment to the
> documentation/customer/tech
> support group. The support group would then be provided with
> such info as:
> serial number, release version, help file location, and items
> navigated
> previously in the help file. This would provide invaluable
> information to
> improve both the content and the navigation aids.

This would be quite helpful. However, when you lift info of any sort from a
user's computer (even info about an app your company sold them, and even
when lifting this info seems to be in everyone's best interests) you must
make sure the user understands that info will be gathered and sent, what
that info is, where it's going to, and what will be done with it.

And the user should be able to opt out, too--that is, click to send feedback
to the app's creators *without* additional info about serial number, help
screens accessed, etc. attached. Users are very sensitive about this, and a
number of companies have received very big public black eyes in the recent
past by gathering information like you suggest and not being candid enough
(generally through oversight rather than malice) about it.

cheers,

brent

--
Brent Jones
brent -dot- jones -at- level3 -dot- com

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230