Re: Context-sensitive Webhelp, really basic questions. or are they?

Subject: Re: Context-sensitive Webhelp, really basic questions. or are they?
From: Kandis Weiner <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:54:14 -0500

Hi Sanjay,

I've been working with one of our programmers to implement WebHelp in
our C++ application (which is being ported to MAC, hence the need for
cross-platform online help).

To access the full online help system, users select help from the menu
or click a help button on the toolbar. These actions call the URL (file
name) of the online help system.

We have not been able to implement field level (Shift+F1)
context-sensitive WebHelp. Everything I've read and seen suggests that
this can't be done. What can be done, however, is to add buttons to
dialog boxes and screens. These buttons launch the WebHelp file and open
the appropriate (dialog box, window, tab, panel) topic (again, the file
name of the topic, not the topic ID).

So this is how we have done it, with success (tested on both platforms,
as well as different versions of IE and NN). Although it is not ideally
context-sensitive, it is close. Hopefully we'll get closer to full
context-sensitivity with future versions of WebHelp.

The RoboHTML book and the ehelp knowledge base contain references to the
specific code required to launch WebHelp from both C++ and Web-based
apps. Give these references to your programmers. They should be able to
make them make sense and get your help working.

Hope this helps!

Sanjay Srikonda asked:

--
Kandis Weiner
kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230