Re: Appalling English

Subject: Re: Appalling English
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:23:30 +0100

Curtis Brautigam wrote

> it is not easy for non-native English speakers to translate

A few points, in no particular order:
* This thread started off about "Engrish", which is mostly just a form of decoration on packaging in Japan. Nobody ever said it was supposed to be a translation of anything, let alone a good translation. I said that already. (The use of language as decoration as opposed to conveying meaning, now *that* would be an interesting thread ... but I'm at work.)
* You illustrate the peculiarities of English with some interesting examples. Yes, but other languages have just as many "peculiarities" as English does. Discussions about which language is harder to learn, etc., are futile. It's all relative (I'll spare you the anecdotes and the autobiography, but I'm speaking from experience).
* Who changed the subject of this thread? Don't you people have any sense of irony?

Yours, appalled in Norway,
John Cornellier

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230