Re: Fun Questions for Professionals!

Subject: Re: Fun Questions for Professionals!
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:51:54 -0800 (PST)

> > P.S. Don't go to the well too many times in
> getting us to do your homework
> > for you. There's a fine distinction between that
> and merely asking for
> > opinions. Not to sound snotty, but the below is
> an awful lot of work to ask
> > of people who are already busy.

I also took a look at these questions, and after
thinking about just how to address them, decided to
delete the message instead.

Perhaps the two most important skills you need to
develop are 1) investigation/research, and 2)
comprehension/structure.

So, rather than ask us what we think all this means
and what the value of x over y is, do your own
analysis. Then, if you wish, submit your findings for
critique.

And as far as the tools and what they do, sorry, but
if you put a ".com" on the end of many of those tool
names you'd get to a site that tells you all about
them. For all other tools, a search engine will
usually pull up the vendor's Web site in the top 10
results.

I hate to sound harsh, as you are seemingly a college
student and are still learning, but you have to learn
to do the leg work and draw your own conclusions. 3rd
party data is only 50% of what a communications
professional needs to get the job done. You have to
rely on your own qualitative and quantitative analysis
to a major degree.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer