Re: Process kills the dot.com

Subject: Re: Process kills the dot.com
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:31:37 -0700

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> > So next time you're angry that your managers won't accept
> > your internationally
> > recognized technical documentation process methodology - it
> > might be because
> > they read this story and realized what a waste of time processes are.
>
> What a coincidence... I read an article about somebody who was killed because he took some medicine. It just >goes to show you what a waste of time medicine is. Avoid it at all costs.

Both of you may be right about Andrew's motives (I wouldn't know,
and make no judgements). However, maybe you should consider that
Andrew could have a personal motive AND be right? Granted, he may
over-generalize, but the story does point out the dangers of
over-rigid process. I wouldn't throw out all process on the basis of
the story, but it is a useful cautionary tale.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"All those people that you mention,