RE: Tech Writer/Designer Horror Stories

Subject: RE: Tech Writer/Designer Horror Stories
From: Jan Bishop <JBishop -at- hach -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:33:20 -0600

I guess my worst came when I was asked to design a diskette to go into a kit
for grade school science classes. It was to have everything in HTML and a
duplicate set of .pdf files in case the classroom had no computers. (This
should be a red flag, having two sets of data to keep parallel.)

The project manager refused to let the SMEs and me talk to each other
directly, the deadlines danced around as if possessed by demons, and two
weeks before the "absolute" deadline, anyone who could approve the project
went on vacation.

After the text files were made, the project manager and his sycophant
assistant continued to make major edits, and "because of the rush" gave the
electronic files to someone else to pick up the edits. He proceeded to
remove most of the formatting. . .

After working 60-hour weeks, missing holidays and some sleep, it got done.
My thanks was having the sycophant standing in my office yelling
uncontrollably, "Don't you even CARE about your work?"