RE: In Reference to Drug Testing

Subject: RE: In Reference to Drug Testing
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:45:33 -0500

IMHO, an employer who asks you to submit to a drug test as a condition of employment is not violating your rights, since you clearly have the option to refuse. Yes, you'd probably lose the job, but it's not that different from other conditions of employment, such as a dress code or mandatory overtime or even, God forbid, a writing test, that could also result in the loss of your job if you decline. I agree that it's distasteful, but I don't think it's a violation of your civil rights. Unless they test for something other than the particular substances they inform you they're testing for, of course.

Tracy

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc

>>> Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com> 10/19/00 05:51PM >>>
1. principle: Citizens of the US have rights that are protected by
law. One right is that no one, not even law enforcement, can conduct a
search without probable cause, based on evidence, to believe that you are
engaged in an illegal activity. I don't believe that employers should have
more rights than law enforcement. I don't believe the fact that it would be
cheaper for the employer is a good justification to violate my rights. I
suspect it would be cheaper for law enforcement to ignore my rights as well.